Today, a new Dragon Ball fighting game was announced/leaked. There have been multiple Dragon Ball fighting games, but none of them, to my knowledge, are quite deep and complex enough to be a truly competitive fighting game like that of Street Fighter, Tekken, etc. This one is different though. This one is going to be published by Bandai-Namco (those behind Tekken) and made by Arc System Works (those behind Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, other anime fighters). Apparently, it’s going to be a 3v3 game, not too dissimilar to the Marvel vs. Capcom series by the sounds of it. With all these things in play, it has the potential to be an amazing fighting game. Needless to say, all sorts of people in the FGC are hyped about it. One, its a Dragon Ball game and most of the FGC seems to adore that series. And two, it could be a legitimate fighting game because of the reasons described.
Me? I’m very skeptical. Not really of the game itself; I’m fairly indifferent because I’ve never watched/read anything Dragon Ball related but am kind of interested to see how it plays; but of the hype the FGC has. Now, I’ve, unfortunately, become very skeptical and doubtful of many things as life has gone on, but it’s never without some reason behind it. The reason I’m so skeptical of the FGC’s hype behind it, with so many saying they’ll make it a main game of theirs, is because I’ve seen this all before. I’m not some FGC veteran, I’ve only been around since about 2013, 2014, but it’s all vivid in my mind because this happens every time with a new big fighting game.
If you want the TL;DR version, this is how the FGC New Game Hype Cycle basically goes:
- Initial Announcement Hype: New major game is announced or leaked. Either a new entry in a major, established series or some new(er) IP that shows promise.
- FGC Reaction: “Looks so good!” “I’m totally gonna main X, Y, and Z!” “I can finally drop this game I claim to hate but it’s the only one I play!”
- Release Hype: Game is released. Everyone is playing it and trying it out.
- FGC Reaction: “Yo! Gimme that tech for Char X!” “Trying out this game on my stream, come watch!”
- Negativity and Doubts Emerge: Within about a month or so of the game’s release and people have vaguely figured out/learned how the game is played
- FGC Reaction: “Game is trash!” “Too focused on this aspect of FGs!” “So imbalanced…” *other various excuses* *silently drops game*
- Back To The Status Quo: By the time EVO rolls around, some people are left, but really just the typical community of that game remains. Most if not all non-regulars will have dropped it after a year.
- FGC Reaction: *goes back to whatever games they typically prefer*